To create a partnership between patient and physician in the healing process. To re-direct the focus of medicine to health and healing. To focus on the whole person including the mind, body, spirit connection to wellness.
Dr. Gater explains her mission: “As an Integrative physician, my goal is to help people focus on health and wellness. The cornerstone of integrative medicine is nutrition and healthy lifestyle. I would much rather teach patients self-help skills and provide them tools to transform their life rather than prescribing them medication. If I could, I’d love to hand a patient running shoes and a tasty plate of vegetables instead of constantly scribbling out prescriptions. Pills are not always the answer. Your body often has the ability to heal and take care of itself if you are willing to make the lifestyle changes.”
Bio of MD:
Dr. Gater is a board certified family physician with a focus on integrative and emergency medicine. She received her medical doctorate at University of Michigan and completed her family practice residency at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia. In 2009, she completed an Integrative Medical Fellowship at the University of Arizona under Andrew Weil, M.D. who is well known for pioneering the field. Integrative Medicine is healing-oriented medicine that takes account of the whole person (body, mind, and spirit), including all aspects of lifestyle. It emphasizes the therapeutic relationship and makes use of all appropriate therapies, both conventional and alternative.
Dr. Gater has received many honors including Resident of the Year from Georgia Academy of Family Physicians and the Thomas C. Davies Family Practice Award from the University of Michigan. Along with her responsibilities at Lake Oconee Urgent Care she also serves as the Medical Director of Emergency Department at Putnam General Hospital. Dr. Gater is a resident of Lake Oconee and enjoys traveling and spending time with her husband Dr. Eddie Richardson, Jr.
Services and Procedures:
- Weight Loss- Advocare 24 Day Weight Loss and 72 Day Weight Loss Programs - HCG diet with complete system including skin care products and supplements Ideal Protein Diet
- Aesthetics- EndyMed RF which painlessly tightens skin, treats wrinkles and cellulite
- Urgent Care including lacerations, x-rays, splinting of sports injuries
- Primary Care including women’s / gynecological health, men’s health, management of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes
- Geriatric Medicine Specialty
- Integrative Medicine Specialty
Training and Education:
- High Honors Bachelor of Science Degree Biological Anthropology Zoology, University of Michigan
- Medical Doctorate University of Michigan
- Family Medicine Residency Emory University
- Fellowship Integrative Medicine University of Arizona
Certified Weight Management Coach HCG Diet Council
- American Academy of Family Physicians
- Georgia Academy of Family Physicians
- HCG Diet Council